is to work as ethically as possible and to continuously lower our environmental impact on our beautiful island.
We are dedicated to leaving lighter footprints on our surroundings by reducing the impact of our products and services on the environment, implementing community projects that focus on a sustainable future, and promoting our environmental conservation ethos to visiting tourists.
Sustainable Travel Ireland
Inishbofin Experiences is a proud member of Sustainable Travel Ireland.
They are Ireland’s leading body for the promotion of responsible tourism and their certification standard is recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC). The GSTC is a United Nations initiated council which sets the baseline standards for sustainable tourism and travel.
We are delighted to have achieved our Sustainable Travel Ireland Intermediate Membership and we are now working to achieve full membership. We hope to continuously improve our environmental standing and achieve our full membership by 2025.
Leave No Trace
Inishbofin Experiences is a proud member of
Leave No Trace Ireland.
We implement their ethos and guidelines in our tours, activities and all the work that we do. We communicate this ethos to all visitors on the island so we can #LoveThisplace #LeaveNoTrace.
We ask you to read and be considerate of the 7 Leave No Trace Principles when you visit Inishbofin so you can participate in our responsible tourism initiative. Find out more about them here.
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Be Considerate of Others
- Respect Farm Animals and Wildlife
- Travel and Camp on Durable Ground
- Leave What You Find
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Minimise the Effects of Fire
Sustainability Policy 2022
This policy will be reviewed again in December 2023.
The Inishbofin CSP is aware that its business activities impact upon the environment and we are committed to alleviating those negative impacts as part of our mission.
Our mission is to work as ethically as possible and to continuously lower our environmental impact on our beautiful island. We are dedicated to leaving lighter footprints on our surroundings by reducing the impact of our products and services on the environment, implementing community projects that focus on a sustainable future, and promoting our environmental conservation ethos to visiting tourists.
What is Sustainable tourism?
At Inishbofin CSP, we believe that sustainable tourism is tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social, and environmental impacts while addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment, and host communities (UNWTO, n.d.).
We are at the start of our sustainability journey. We know we still have a lot to learn and achieve, but here at Inishbofin CSP we are committed to continuously improving our efforts.
All Inishbofin CSP business practices are committed to the following environmental policies:
- Limiting energy usage as much as possible on our premises and in our activities
- All activities under the Inishbofin Experiences will be conducted using the Leave No Trace ethos and with sustainability at the forefront
- CSP events will limit their use of motor vehicles
- CSP events will follow environmental guidelines for reducing waste, pollution, and our carbon footprint.
- All employees have committed to reducing their use of motor vehicles, following waste reduction policies, and working to promote our environmental ethos to our community and tourists.
Measuring and reducing negative impacts
We commit to measuring our electricity consumption every 1 month and do the following to reduce consumption:
- Host an employee awareness day to teach our staff about best energy saving practices.
- As we do not own the building we operate from, we aim to collaborate with our landlord to ensure we are using at least 51% renewable energy sources.
- We aim to switch to all energy-efficient light bulbs.
- We aim to research best energy practices and appliances annually.
We commit to measuring our water consumption every 3 months and do the following to reduce consumption:
- Promote turning off taps in tourist office for staff and visitors.
- We aim to use rainwater collection for cleaning jobs or watering plants in the future.
- Our Washing Machine is a Grade A appliance and we use short wash programmes.
We commit to measuring our waste consumption every month and commit to doing the following to reduce consumption:
- Informing staff of recycling methods
- Questioning how much each product is actually needed
- Only using certified ethical and sustainable suppliers and products
- Reusing or repurposing as much waste as possible
- Digitalising office work as much as possible
- Encouraging tourists to recycle and reduce waste
- Educating tourists before they visit.
At Inishbofin CSP we are committed to: …
- Reducing our consumption and buying only what we really need
- Using certified ethical and sustainable suppliers where possible
- Ensuring our suppliers are working to reduce their environmental impact
- Buying local products where possible. We buy from our closest suppliers when feasible and always source our products from Irish suppliers where possible
- Buying products with as little packaging as possible
- Buying products in bulk if needed to reduce packaging
We are committed to reducing our carbon footprint as much as possible and to offset the remainder with a trusted partner. We are looking to find a partner to offset our remaining emissions. We are currently in the process of measuring our carbon footprint. We are participating in carbon management workshops to help us on our carbon management journey.
To reduce our carbon footprint, we:
- Have stopped the use of disposable cups for hot drinks unless specifically requested to reduce our waste
- Recycle all our waste and provide recycling bins for visitors to encourage them to do this also.
- Use local suppliers within a 50km radius to reduce transport emissions.
- Unplug appliances where possible at the end of each day to minimise unnecessary energy usage
- Encourage all visitors to the island to use public transport and we provide in-depth information on local public transport options and schedules.