The ferry journey to Inishbofin takes approximately 40 minutes and departs from Cleggan pier, Co. Galway. It is necessary to arrive at the pier at least 30 minutes before the specified sailing times.
- For the ferry timetable and to book tickets online please visit https://inishbofinferry.ie/
- Tickets may also be bought from the Inishbofin Ticket Office located in Cleggan Village.
We recommend using Citylink services, when possible, for your Inishbofin Journey.
We highly encourage the use of bus transport to reduce your environmental impact on your journey across Ireland.
For the majority of bus routes, you will need to first make your way to Galway and then take another bus to Cleggan pier to take the boat to Inishbofin.
Galway – Cleggan Pier (for ferry departure)
- You will need to take the Citylink bus from Galway Coach Station to Cleggan Pier.
- The bus takes approximately 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Bus timetable is available here. Please note the limited times on this route.
- The bus to Clifden is more frequent and this is also a beautiful place to stop on your journey to Inishbofin. If the bus times to Cleggan do not suit your schedule, we recommend staying a night in Clifden and catching the bus the next day.
- There are also taxi services from Clifden to Cleggan pier. If you need more information on this, please feel free to contact us on +353 (0) 95 45895
Dublin Airport / Dublin City – Galway
- This journey takes approximately 3 hours from Dublin Airport.
- The Citylink bus to Galway is located directly outside Dublin Airport in Bus Zone 13.
- Citylink Pick-up in Dublin City Centre is from outside the Citylink Office located on Aston/Crampton Quay DO2 X434.
- The timetable for this route is available here.
- We advise booking your tickets in advance via the Citylink website.
If the bus is not sold out, you may also pay in cash or card directly to the bus driver.
Cork / Limerick – Galway
- From Cork Airport to Galway, it takes approximately 3hrs 20mins
- Book online via Citylink bus service
- If you arrive in Cork Airport or are travelling the Southwest of Ireland, then this route might be for you.
- Timetable for this route is available here
Belfast – Galway
- There is no direct bus from Belfast to Galway
- If you wish to travel by bus, you will need to take a bus to Dublin Airport first and then take another bus to Galway as outlined above.
Westport – Letterfrack – Cleggan
- If you are travelling down from Westport, Co. Mayo, Bus Eireann services will take you to Letterfrack or Clifden. From there you can get on the Citylink bus to Cleggan.
- Bus Eireann timetables are available here
- The Citylink timetable is available here. Please be aware that the Letterfrack to Cleggan bus times are limited.
While the train does not take you the whole way to Cleggan pier, you can take the train to Galway or Westport and then take the bus routes as mentioned previously.
- For Irish train timetables and routes please visit https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/train-timetables
- You will need to take the bus from the airport to Dublin Connelly station before taking the train
- Please only travel by car if necessary.
- If travelling by car you will need to park and leave your car in Cleggan Village.
- Once you enter the village you will see these carparks clearly signposted on either side of the road. Please only park in the designated car parks.
- There are no electric car charging points in Cleggan Village.
- Inishbofin is not suitable for cars and therefore it is advised that all visitors travel by foot or bike once they reach the island. All accommodation providers offer transport to and from the ferry once you arrive.
- Please check out https://greenwaysireland.org/great-western-greenway/ for incredible cycling routes towards the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Enjoy a cycle to Westport, Co. Mayo and a take the bus to Cleggan. You can rent a bike once you land on Inishbofin and continue your cycling journey!